Sunday, August 7, 2011

Animals are the key



This is our new guy.  Meet Riker Sunflower Vink.  ;)
 We found him after a long, disappointing day of searching in Portland.  "Family Dog's New Life Shelter" didn't even show up on our google searches right away.  After a long hot day of driving, we pulled up to a quiet farm-road with a re-constructed house.   Walking in, I gave a hopeful look towards Jason. "Maybe..?"

We were met with dreadlocks, gauged ears, sleeve tattoos, and smiles. The people workng there were on the level. They knew what we were all about, and they were greatful we had come. Not indifferent, jaded, or judgemental.

 We found out a little bit about "Tatara" while we browsed through their "portfolio".  
He was born a year and 1/2 ago in Pope County, Arkansas, at a failed shelter. The woman running this "institution" was charged with animal abuse, neglect, and malnourishmnent.  123 dogs were rescued and sent to nearby Vet hospitals and clinics for the treatment of infected wounds, mange, and starvation.

 We asked to see him in their room. I was apprehensive after reading his bio.  Initially we wanted a young, trainable puppy without any "issues" we would have to work to undo.  When he walked in through the door with his sweet big head down, a shy tail between his legs and a couple, hazel-eyed glances at us, we warmed up.  After a short trail hike nearby with him, we were pretty sold. His sweetness radiates.  there is nothing wrong with him, only with his circumstances.

 "Tatara"'s mother gwawed on his tail as a young pup so much that it never grew properly.  He is a Labrador/Pointer mix, and has fear/seperation/anxiety.

His first "adoptive" owners kept him for only four months, then returned him the the New Day Shelter, on account of his nervous/skittishmess. They did not have the time or patience it would need to help him learn how to be more independent and brave.

He walks with a loose leash, loves to run, sits and stays, and loves to give kisses. He does not beg, bark, or whine.  His curiousity in the kittens is shy and sweet.

  I'm so excited that he chose us.



~The Meaning of Rescue~


-"Now that I'm home, bathed, settled and fed, tucked into my warm new bed
I'd like to open my baggage
before I forget
There is so much to carry-
So much to regret.
Hmm, yess - there it is, right on top
I'll unpack Loneliness, Heartache and Loss, 
and there by my leash hides Fear and Shame. 
As I look at these things I tried so hard to leave-
I still have to unpack my baggage called Pain.
I loved them, the others, the ones who left me,
but I wasn't good enough - for they didn't want me.
Will you help me unpack?
Or will you just look at my things,
 and take me right back?
Do you have the time to help me unpack?
Put away my baggage and never repack?
I pray that you do - I'm so tired you see,
But I do come with baggage-
will you still want me?"
--

No comments:

Post a Comment